Marlow self catering accommodation

Short-term let in Marlow-on-Thames

The bedroom is named after General Sir George Higginson, but is currently set out as a lounge, with ensuite “wet room”. It could easily also be a single or double ensuite bedroom.

Higginson (General Sir George GCB GCVO KCB, b 1826):

Court Garden was put on the market in 1926, following the death of its owner. Some far-sighted townspeople, fearing the estate might be split up and "developed", were able to raise the money to buy land on behalf of the town. 1926 was also the year of the hundredth birthday of Marlow's Crimean War veteran, General Sir George Higginson.


Higginson

Princess Mary, the Princess Royal and the General's goddaughter, presented the deeds of Court Garden to the General as a birthday gift from the town (although he had himself contributed to purchase them) and he immediately handed them back to the town. This is how Marlow's townspeople and its visitors came to be able to enjoy the splendid facilities of Court Garden and Higginson's Park.

Following his retirement from the army, Sir George became chairman of the governors of Sir William Borlase's School, chairman of the directors of Marlow Water Company, vice president of Marlow Regatta, vice president of Marlow Institute and Horticultural Society, president of the Marlow British Legion branch and vice president of the Marlow Cottage Hospital. In 1926 the General reached his 100th birthday and it was only a few months later, in February 1927, that he died.

Court Garden was put on the market in 1926, following the death of its owner. Some far-sighted townspeople, fearing the estate might be split up and "developed", were able to raise the money to buy it on behalf of the town. 1926 was also the year of the hundredth birthday of Marlow's Crimean War veteran, General Sir George Higginson. Princess Mary, the Princess Royal and the General's goddaughter, presented the deeds of Court Garden to the General as a birthday gift from the town (although he had himself contributed to purchase them) and he immediately handed them back to the town. This is how Marlow's townspeople and its visitors came to be able to enjoy the splendid facilities of Court Garden and Higginson's Park.